The 2nd Annual IPA Street Photography Asia Contest by Invisible Photographer Asia (IPA) is now open for submissions till 1st June 2012. This 2nd Edition Contest marks our 2nd anniversary and is a celebration, challenge, and search for the best street photographs and photographers in Asia.
The contest is open and free to photographers of any level, and in any country of residence. However, submissions must be in the street photography genre and shot in Asia within the last 24 months. Contest submission period starts from 1st April and closes 1st June 2012.
1. Submit THREE of your select street photography images from Asia that best represent your body of work and/or sensibilities as a street photographer. The three images can be singles or part of a series.
What is Street Photography?
In brief, we refer to Street Photography as an observation by means of a camera of daily public life, where the muse of the observer is, most often, the common man and his environment. It is documentary-like in method where the scene and subjects are photographed candid and un-staged. Street Photography, at it’s best, are like Haikus – concise and poetic descriptions of everyday occurrences. Want more information and references? Check out our Street Photography articles and photo essays: invisiblephotographer.asia/category/streetphotography
Countries in Asia include:
Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste (East Timor), Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Yemen.
2. Download and fill in the Contest Entry Form here: invisiblephotographer.asia/downloads/IPA_StreetContest2012_EntryForm.doc
3. Prepare your three entry images to the following requirements:
Please submit pictures resized to 1200 pixels on the long side (width for landscape, height for portrait orientation), in JPG or JPEG format, with a maximum file size of 2MBs each only. Ensure that you name your image file this way: photographername_imagenumber_title.jpg (eg. Johnlee_01_wildstreet.jpg, Johnlee_02_thelitmen.jpg, Johnlee_03_streetmomentkl.jpg ). Do NOT submit images with watermarks of any kind. Please DO NOT frame your images with borders.
4. Submit your three image entries and completed Entry Form by sending them to email: email@example.com with the following Email Subject – [IPA Street Photography Contest 2012 – Photographer’s Name – Country]
Note: Incomplete submissions may result in disqualification.
Contest Submission period is now open and ends 1st June 2011 at 12 AM (UTC/GMT +8 hours). Finalists and winners announcements in June/July 2012 – Exact dates to be confirmed. Join our Facebook page for updates: www.facebook.com/invisiblephotographer.
Contest Entry Submission is FREE. We do however, welcome voluntary donations to help us with expenses and costs of up-keeping this contest, our website and various efforts. Donations are entirely voluntary and have no influence or bearing on the selection, judging and results of this contest.
20 Finalists and 2 runner-ups will be selected and shortlisted by judges, but there will only be one GRAND 1ST PRIZE Winner. The GRAND 1ST PRIZE Winner will recieve a ‘CLASSIC STREET KIT’ valued at approximately USD$2,000. The ‘CLASSIC STREET KIT’ Prize includes: 1) A street shooter’s LEICA M2 Rangefinder Camera* in Chrome with special IPA engraving, kindly sponsored by BenPhoto Singapore; 2) A minty Nokton 35mm F/1.7 Lens* kindly sponsored by Chiif Cameras, Official Voigtlander Dealer; and 3) An IPA Street Photography T-shirt. SOLE 1ST Prize Winner takes it all, but all Finalists claim bragging rights and will have their images exhibited in Singapore at the IPA Gallery.
*Camera equipment are second-hand items without warranties from the manufacturers/sponsors. The items may have cosmetic wear and paint-loss on certain parts, but is otherwise perfectly functioning as photographic equipment.
KEVIN WY LEE
Street Photographer, Singapore
Founder/Editor of Invisible Ph t grapher Asia
CONTEST RULES + TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Contest is organised by Invisible Photographer Asia (IPA) and is open to photographers of any level and in any country of residence, and pictures taken with any camera – digital or film. Colour or Black & White images are accepted.
- Participants MAY NOT add or remove elements from your photographs. Participants MAY crop a photo and perform colour corrections and processing in keeping with a realistic representation of the subject. You MAY change an image from colour to black and white. Extreme photo manipulation, stitching and combining of images is forbidden.
- Entry images must be in the Street Photography genre and shot in Asia.
- Each participant may submit only ONE entry with three images.
- Each participant agrees to fully indemnify the contest organisers (IPA) in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of your participation and/or disqualification in the contest.
- We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any Entry that does not comply with our requirements, even after the Entry is Submitted.
- Our decisions regarding the contest, and that of our judges are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Each participant must be the sole owner and author of each Entry Submission. NOTE ON COPYRIGHT – the images remain the property of the author. By submitting an entry you grant us explicit rights to publish, exhibit and use your images on our website and other official online/offline channels, and for media publicity, in our sole discretion.
- Shortlisted finalists must produce an original high-resolution file (300dpi) on request to qualify.
- You own the rights to your photos – by submitting an entry you grant IPA explicit rights to publish, exhibit and use your images on our website and other official online/offline channels, and for media publicity with regards to our contest/website/activities as we see fit.
- Upon notification, finalists and winner must respond within 3 weeks providing an appropriate shipping address, or risk forfeiting their prizes.
- Participants agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of Your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
- IPA assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the contest, and IPA assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, corrupt transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the contest. IPA assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of Entries. If for any reason a participant’s entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud or technical failures, IPA assumes no responsibility.
- Contest rules, terms & conditions may be updated or modified at the sole discretion of IPA, the contest organiser.
A Big thanks to our Sponsors:
Sponsoring the contest for the second time is Chiif Cameras, Official Voigtlander Dealer for Singapore and Malaysia.
For more information on Chiif, visit www.chiifcameras.com or join their Facebook Page.
One of Singapore’s premier dealers of digital and film camera equipment, BenPhoto has the largest inventory of used cameras and lenses in town.
BenPhoto is located at 3 Coleman Street, Peninsula Shopping Centre #01-K34B, Singapore 179804.